A

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

RE: [photoshop-beginners] Lightroom/John



Lightroom is a photo database with editing and other capabilities built in to it.  Bridge is a file manager whose power is really seen in collaboration with other people/programs.  I can search for and "place" a photo in other programs like InDesign, Illustrator, or Dreamweaver through Bridge. 

 

Since Lightroom builds a database it 'remembers' where photos are located.  Bridge will 'search' for the file and then allow me to open it in Adobe Camera Raw, Photoshop, InDesign etc.  Bridge and Lightroom are the same but different if that makes sense. 

 

I added Lightroom to my workflow a few months ago and have found that it has streamlined my process greatly.  Now I use Photoshop for things where I need Photoshop and use Lightroom for all the 'basic' processing, labeling, keywording, and rating needs. 

 

I also would strongly suggest Lightroom as part of your photo editing workflow (programs) if you can afford it.  If I remember the full version is available for about $200.  

 

From: photoshop-beginners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:photoshop-beginners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of John L Waller
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:14 AM
To: photoshop-beginners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [photoshop-beginners] Lightroom/John

 

 

Off the top of my head I cannot, will have to think about it a bit.  I started by just playing with the catalog features and parts of were similar enough from Bridge that it helped me start. I referred  to the Help files a lot. I still have a lot to learn.  Working with the develop module came a long later, and I am still feeling my way along.  If I can find something I will let you know…  After working Bridge, searching in Lightroom is so much faster. One nice thing is that you can export your keywords from Bridge to Lightroom.

 

JohnW

 

From: photoshop-beginners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:photoshop-beginners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Betty
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:24 PM
To: photoshop-beginners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [photoshop-beginners] lightroom/John

 







I have LR but very seldom use it because I don't know how. Can you, or anyone, suggest a class [free would be great] for LR?  Betty

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:07 PM

Subject: RE: [photoshop-beginners] Delete XMP Files?

 

 

First of all, if you can afford it, get Lightroom.  For cataloging purposes alone it is well worth it.  Bridge was getting awfully slow, then I found out why. I had over 26,000 images, with digital cameras photos will pile up fast!! I now use Lightroom as a frontend to Photoshop. If I want to edit something in PS I will now go to Lightroom to find it, then right-click on it to edit in PS.  One nice thing, If I edit something in PS, when I close the window it will appear in Lightroom as new file, that is the original file I had clicked on will be untouched so I can play with it again.

JohnW







__._,_.___


Please check out our sister group, attachments allowed-Photoshop by Example http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ps-by-ex/



Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment