A

Sunday, January 29, 2012

[photoshop-beginners] newbie hello



I'm new to the group. Have you been muddling along w CS4 for about a year, using probably about 1/1000 of its capabilities, ha. People keep saying "view online tutorials" but...when you know NOTHING, you don't even know what it is you don't know, to search for a tutorial on it! Ha :-)

So essentially I've been using the program as an expensive cropper/resizer...I can manage adjusting levels and some other minor tweaking, and I've installed some actions that I use. 

I struggle with the clone eraser band-aid things (forget their real names) and frequently return to my old Paint Shop Pro 7 (from the Dark Ages) to fix blemishes, clone out annoying things etc. And I'd been using Picnik a LOT for their actions and "advanced" editing features and am so sad to see that Picnik will be no more come April.

So. I have some books. Ugh. Ha. Even the books (both Scott Kelby) seem to presume a certain level of PS knowledge. I want someone or something that's going to say "okay, first you turn it ON" ...and proceed from there, sort of going button by button and saying "this does that, and that does this." Cuz there's stuff you'd never in a million years even KNOW you could do, and just clicking on buttons (tools, etc) don't really tell you anything. Sometimes it looks like nothing's happening and I'm realizing many things have to happen in combination with *other* things, but...gah. 

I realize all that isn't really a question, more just venting frustration. I see so many lovely images on flickr...with...overlays and textures and filmy dreamy looks to them...girls floating in the air, that sort of things. And...I don't know how to do any of it  :-( 

Picnik has a "cross process" thing that I used a LOT, and I am going to be VERY sorry to lose that. I see CS4 has a cross-process in curves but...it's not the same at ALL, not even close. It's so harsh, even when I adjust the....the thing, I can't remember, like that makes an effect more translucent? 

So, I guess those are some specific questions - how to duplicate the look of Picnik cross process in PS...how to make things look like they're floating...how to add overlays and textures...and a *good* "PS CS4 for TRULY idiots." Cuz that's me. And I ain't ashamed to admit it. I want to learn.

Hi y'all. Thanks.

Bettye <- whose sig block is going crazy down there, don't know what that's about.
 
Bettye L. Rainwater Dragonfly Vintage Clothing http://stores.ebay.com/dragonflyvintageclothing - things for sale http://onceisawadragonfly.blogspot.com/ - life and thoughts http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonflyvintage/ - photography http://pinterest.com/dragonflyvtg/ - i see things




__._,_.___


Please check out our sister group, attachments allowed-Photoshop by Example http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ps-by-ex/



Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment