A

Friday, September 9, 2011

Re: [photoshop-beginners] Blurry Image



You asked: "what lenses you have with IS that you find you use on a regular basis, please?"

I have several lenses with IS, as I said earlier. I mostly use as "standard" a Canon EF-S 18-135/3.5-5.6 IS which has a nice zoom range which means I don't have to switch lenses all the time. 

The IS means I gain 3-4 stops which means I can get sharp pictures with a f.stop of 1/15 to 1/30, if the subject is fairly stationary.

I would also invest in a good lightweight monopod, preferrably one made of carbon fibre. The carbon fibre ones weigh around 400-500 grams (aprox 1 lbs). I'm presently trying to figure out a way to have some sort of mounting point for the monopod at the base of the footrests on my wheelchair.


I also have a Canon EF 70-300/4-5,6 IS USM.

I'd also invest in a good low priced Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens, albeit it doesn't have IS. This lens sells for 108.39$ at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315581984&sr=1-1

It's cheaply built out of mostly plastic, but even I can get sharp portrait pictures at maximum aperture 1,8, with the nice blurred background (bokeh).

I've also invested in the quite expensive Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM which is a professional lens which produces exeptionally good quality pictures. But at a price: It's expensive to buy, and its quite heavy. So heavy that I have to use a mono- or tripod, but its worth it. This is professional photographers most popular lens. You see it on every venue where photographers gather.

You can contact me off forum at goran_noren[at]yahoo[dot]com if there's anything else you're wondering.

I'd also go to camera stores and try out some of the new Canon cameras and see how heavy the camera bodies, and lenses, are, before buying the camera and lenses in Singapore.;-)

I'm super happy with my Canon 7D, which I bought 1 1/2 years ago, and I also use it to shoot HD video films of the family etc. on vacations.

I've come to the point where I now sell my photo's and work as a photographer, I do mostly portraits.

On a side note: I would opt for the Canon Speedlite 430 EX external flash, as the 580 EX II is a lot heavier when mounted on top of your camera. (I have both, but use the 430 90% of the time)

Kind rgds

Goran N
Lidingo
Sweden

From: T & S Smith <shelltel@sky.com>
To: photoshop-beginners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2011 4:35 PM
Subject: Re: [photoshop-beginners] Blurry Image

 
To Delia, I'm afraid Stephan and Goran are right...sadly I deal with a lot of blur on my photos (and why I tend to let hubby take the photos), but do play around with the filters they suggest.  I was amazed by what the unsharp filter can do to some of my photos, when I first began trying it.  So while you'll never get rid of the blur, you can fool the eye or enhance the blur to make it look like that is what you were going for and turn a 'ruined' photo into something 'amazing' and 'arty'.

To Goran, could I ask what lenses you have with IS that you find you use on a regular basis, please?  Hubby usually takes the photos, as I've mentioned to Delia, but I'm trying to learn how to take better shots instead of just being the one who plays around with the shots on ps and putting them into digiscrap albums.  I'm also in a wheelchair, and though my wrists are ok, one shoulder isn't so great and I'm unable to take a photo with just the one arm, so I tend to get blur due to the slight shake from the shoulder.  So I find a very large proportion of my photos are blurry, so maybe some new IS lenses will help (they certainly can't hurt lol).  We have a Canon 40D but will be going to Singapore in a few months (which is where we bought the 40D a few years ago) and so we're planning on buying a newer model while we're there along with some new lenses as it's considerably cheaper over there.  Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:10 PM, goran noren <goran_noren@yahoo.com> wrote:
 
Hi,

Couldn't find the photo there, I'll check later.

But, in general: its neigh close to impossible to "fix" motion blur in a photograph with Photoshop, or any other program for that matter.:(( crying

You can use a mask and sharpen certain areas of a picture but it seldom fixes the problem, sorry...

I am a Tertraplegic and use an electric wheelchair to get around, and my wrists and hands are pretty weak. I used to have a Canon 40D with a normal lens, i.e. without IS, or Image Stabilizer, and upwards to 80% of my photos were ruined due to motion blur. I've since invested in a range of lenses with IS (Plus a Canon 7D) and now get 10% blurry photos, which is a huge improvement.

So try to get the shot right, and sharp, from the beginning. Take many pictures of a subject to make sure you get a few really sharp ones.

Let us have a go at trying to improve your photo.

Rgds

Goran N
Sweden

From: delia9567 <delia9567@yahoo.com>
To: photoshop-beginners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2011 2:11 AM
Subject: [photoshop-beginners] Blurry Image

 
Hi there!

I have a blurry image that I am trying to fix in PS. Can you any one help with it and how to? I uploaded in the photos, it is waiting for approval. It has motion blur.
The file is Logan By: delia9567

Thank you in advance.








__._,_.___


Please check out our sister group, attachments allowed-Photoshop by Example http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ps-by-ex/



Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment