A

Saturday, January 30, 2010

[APS] Re:performance

 

Two more things. To correct any ambiguity in my reply, let me say I was speaking only about internal SATA or e-SATA drives of at least 7200 RPMs. USB or FW400 just don't cut it in real world usage except for storage. The other idea presented that sometime with enough memory, PS doesn't need the swap file. I believe that this is no longer the case. Starting in CS or CS2, Adobe now always uses a scratch disk and only uses the allotted RAM to act as a cache for that virtual memory on your disk. I had 8 gb on my recent Vista 64 workstation and now use 12 GB on my new Mac Pro and it would appear that PS is constantly writing to the scratch disk. I believe I remember this also from Real World CS2 by Blattner an Frasier. No doubt more RAM will speed things up some, but getting your scratch disk on a separate SATA drive will mean that PS won't have to compete with your OS swap file for the hard drive controller, something that also facilitates crashes, not caches.;-)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment